Thursday, January 28, 2010
Names to Watch and Wear
1. Julian J Smith is a new name for your notebook. His s/s 10 collection is bursting with well-cut cocktail dresses emblazoned with scribble prints, block pastels and bright colours. Victoria Beckham was the first to sport his new collection. From £500 (start-london.com).
2. Michael Lewis has designed shoes for Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Burberry, and now his own collection, from £315, is at Dover Street Market (020-7518 0680). Look out, too, for his brilliant collection for LK Bennett, which oozes elegance: cream courts with black toe, £180; white courts with black heel, £225 (0844-581 5881; lkbennet.com).
3. Isabel Marant is the ultimate fashion insider’s brand. Marant is not new to the scene, but the French designer’s thoughtful and practical clothes have a pinch of ethnic glamour, and serious waiting-lists are assured, so get your orders in early. Dress, £620. Isabel Marant is stocked at Joseph (020-7590 6200) and Liberty (020-7734 1234).
4. Celine Phoebe Philo, the former creative director at Chloé, returns to the catwalk at the helm of Céline. Trousers edged with leather, crisp white collarless shirts, trenchcoat dresses and military jackets, all in the most luxurious fabrics. The Céline influence is bound to be seen across the high street. Shirt, £581; trousers, £688; belt, £270. At Dover Street Market (020-7518 0680).
5. Katie Hillier The British accessories designer known for her quirky offerings for Luella and Marc by Marc Jacobs has launched her own collection. This 18ct gold paperclip bunny necklace with a diamond eye will add a touch of originality to any outfit. £595 (matchesfashion.com).
6. Collaborations Sonia Rykiel reprises her tie-up with H&M (020-7323 2211) with a capsule collection of signature knitwear, in stores on February 20, while Topshop (0845-121 4519) hitches up with hot young designers: look out for Mary Katranzou’s art deco printed delights, due on February 18; and the knitwear guru Mark Fast’s collection arrives in March.
7. Selfridges online A mighty cheer will be heard across the nation this spring as Selfridges launches its first online store (selfridges.com), with more than 450 brands. There will be online exclusives, including this Givenchy Pandora bag (£1,115), plus new colourways for Alexander Wang’s Rocco bag, and Ashish will offer bespoke pieces.
8. Six key looks Orange stretch dress, £159, Reiss (020-7473 9630)...
9. ... white shirt, £45, Cos (020-7478 0400) ...
10. ... lace corset, £50, Oasis (01865-881986) ...
11. ... denim biker jacket, £45, Gap (0800-427789) ...
12. ... floral gilet, £32, Topshop (0845-121 4519).
(Daily Telegraph U.K.)