Thursday, July 28, 2011

Designer Dossier: Alexis Bittar

From carved Lucite cuffs to over-the-top costume baubles, every little thing he does is magic. For his next trick? The debut of fine jewelry in 2012.


"I grew up without a TV. My parents are professors and deeply intellectual. When I travel now, I feel like a kid whose parents aren't around. Then I see what's on. The show that kills me is Bridalplasty. It's the sickest thing ever! I felt I needed to make a statement."


Necklace $425, Alexis Bittar; alexisbittar.com.


Crystal Bangles $155 each, Pearl Cuff $345, Bow Cuff $295, Crystal Cuff $395, Silver Studded Cuff $185, Pearl Bracelet $295, Gold STUDDED Cuff $185, Floral Cuff price upon request, Alexis Bittar; alexisbittar.com.


Necklace $1,700, Alexis Bittar Exclusively for Jason Wu; alexisbittar.com.


"When I'm working with Jason Wu [with whom Bittar collaborated for spring and fall 2011], he'll show me pictures of his references. For fall, they were old churches and Roman Italian architecture. I tried to get into his head as much as possible to make the jewelry [above and left] work with the ready-to-wear."


Cuffs $345 each, Alexis Bittar; alexisbittar.com.


Lauren Hutton's lack of plastic surgery led her to become the latest face of Alexis Bittar. "I respect women who don't fall for the pressures of society," Bittar says.


Cuff $550, Alexis Bittar Exclusively for Jason Wu; alexisbittar.com.

(marieclaire.com)

I've been a fan of Alexis Bittar's work from the start. A fine jewelry collection is a natural progression for this immense talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment